School for students will begin Wed., August 9. Construction is ongoing at Gordon Lee High School. Students will be unable to park in the horseshoe drive until sometime in September. The construction will also affect students who walk to CES and GLMS through the alley between GLHS and the Gordon Lee Mansion. We are encouraging CAR-POOLING for student drivers whenever possible, and we ask the community to be keenly aware that many children will be walking from different areas to school each morning. We will have staff members supervising, and also assistance from the Chickamauga City Police Department, but EXTREME CAUTION is warranted.
Below is a detailed plan for student parking, parent drop-off and pick-up, and student walkers. This plan may be tweaked if needed, but any updates will be posted immediately.
1. There will be business as usual on Crescent Ave. for students being brought to school in the horseshoe at CES and GLMS.
2. 12th Street will be ONE-WAY FROM COVE ROAD TO CRESCENT AVE. FROM 7:15-8:30 a.m. Parents may drop/pickup students from the RIGHT LANE ONLY at the SIDE driveway of GLHS.
3. Students will NOT be able to park on 12th Street. Due to the side parking lot being utilized as a staging area for construction, teachers will be parking on 12th Street.
4. All students driving TRUCKS will park in the GRAVEL LOT on the RIGHT SIDE OF LEE CLARKSON RD., just below the Chickamauga Civic Center. Students need to park in an orderly fashion around the perimeter of the lot---not in the middle. Chickamauga City School System personnel will be available to assist students parking in this area. Overflow parking will be available for trucks at the civic center and also parking spaces on Cove Road across from the Gordon Lee Mansion. Students will walk to the corner where a police officer will direct students when to cross to campus.
5. WORK BASED LEARNING STUDENTS will park at the Chickamauga Civic Center on Lee Clarkson Rd. (Behind the Chickamauga Public Library). There will be no student parking at the public library. Students also need to cross to campus under the direction of the officer at the corner of Cove and Lee Clarkson Roads.
6. Remaining students will park at DAN MCNALLY FIELD---ENTERING AND EXITING WILL BE FROM THE BACK (WEST 14TH STREET.) There will be no exiting onto Cove Rd. by vehicle or foot. Students will remain within the fencing of Dan McNally Field and walk toward the Central Office---there is a single gate for students to exit and they will then follow along the sidewalk to the CROSSWALK ON COVE ROAD. PLEASE STRESS TO YOUR CHILDREN THE IMPORTANCE OF FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO ENSURE THEIR SAFETY. Staff members will be supervising and assisting students, and Chickamauga City Police will be coordinating the students as they cross to the campus.
*****Students typically walking to and from CES and GLMS through the alleyway between the GLHS campus and the GL Mansion MUST TAKE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE. The alleyway is within the construction staging area and CLOSED TO VEHICLES AND FOOT TRAFFIC FOR THE DURATION OF THE PROJECT. Only service and construction vehicles will be allowed and it will be very UNSAFE for anyone
to be in the area. THIS IS AN UNAUTHORIZED AREA AND NO ONE SHOULD ENTER. An ALTERNATE WALKING PATH on the right side of the alley will be opened. Students/parents will be able to access CES and GLHS by this pathway. We ask that you use EXTREME CAUTION if you choose to utilize this pathway, and also ask that you DO NOT WALK ON THE PROPERTY OF THE GORDON LEE MANSION.
The City of Chickamauga has graciously offered an ALTERNATE WALKING PATH ON THE PROPERTY OF THE GORDON LEE MANSION, for students/parents to be able to access CES and GLMS. This route will be open from 7:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. We ask that you use EXTREME CAUTION, and also ask that you WALK ONLY ON THE PATHWAY THAT WILL BE MARKED. AT NO TIME WILL STUDENTS BE ALLOWED ONTO THE GRASSY AREAS/GARDENS OF THE MANSION. Walking traffic will enter the mansion driveway that is closest to the GLHS campus. All foot traffic must be on the paved area---walk until the drive forks and take the left paved pathway. This will lead to the covered patio on the left, rear of the property---walkers will pass through the patio and exit on the other side. This is the end of the paved/concrete walkway. We will place a mat for students to walk on until they pass through the gate at the rear of the mansion property and onto the CES paved lot. Staff members from CES and GLMS will help to supervise students, but I MUST STRESS---IF STUDENTS DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AND PATHWAY PROPERLY, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UTILIZE THIS SHORT-CUT ON THE MANSION PROPERTY.
We ask all citizens and drivers to take extreme care, and be watchful for students walking and crossing to school. This is always a concern, but due to the construction, there will be a great many more students walking. We realize this is a tremendous inconvenience to the entire community and appreciate your patience. If you have questions or need clarification of this information, please feel free to contact me at 706-382-3100. Melody Day
NOTE TO THE SENIOR CLASS OF 2017-2018
I realize the importance for seniors as they enter the horseshoe on the first day of school. I do not want you to feel you will not have this tradition---it will just be slightly delayed. Once the horseshoe is completed, your senior class will be the first ones to “enter” the new horseshoe and we will consider that your “first day arrival” for this school year! YES, YOU DO HAVE TO BEGIN SCHOOL WEDNESDAY, AUGUSST 9TH LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, BUT YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO. We are going to have a great year and I look forward to having you back soon.
Tuition must be paid before students can attend class, per Board Policy.
Students may wear modest length shorts until Labor Day.
WE WILL ATTEND SCHOOL ½ DAY ON AUGUST 21ST, DUE TO THE ECLIPSE. BECAUSE OF OUR CONSTRUCTION PROJECT, AND THE FACT THAT THE PEAK OF THE ECLIPSE IS AT DISMISSAL TIME, WE WILL DISMISS STUDENTS EARLY FOR SAFETY PURPOSES.